THE BULLETIN BOARD
Third Quarter 2018[August 10th]
2018 Labor Day Parade Monday, September 3th
Tte Labor Day Parade this year is on September 3rd. The parade route will be the same as last year, starting up by the PPG Paints Arena. Last year, we lined up past the Arena, on the top of the hill, on the left side of the parking lot. Tentative plans this year are to march with the other Postal Unions.
PMAPWU hats, visors, and limited edition tee shirts, along with fresh donuts, bagels, pastries, juice, coffee, and cold water will be available, starting at 8:00 am. The famous Balmoral Pipes and Drums will once again be leading the way for our marchers!
After the parade, all PMAPWU members and their family and friends who marched with us will meet in Red Lot 7A near the Clark Bar underneath the ramp from the Fort Duquesne Bridge for catered tailgate picnic food and ice cold beverages. All marchers will receive a Pirate game ticket for a 1:35 pm game against the Cincinnati Reds. Limited free parking is available until Lot 7A fills up. Please remember to bring your own chairs for the tailgate party!!
Second Quarter 2018[June 14th]
PMAPWU 17th Union Solidarity Picnic, Sunday, July 15th
The PMAPWU 17th Union Solidarity Picnic will be held at Avonworth Community Park, 498 Camp Horne Road, 15237, which is easy to reach off I-279 or Route 65. The picnic is open to all members in good standing with PMAPWU. Registration is required — a form will be mailed out to all members. Fill it out and send it in by the deadline of Monday, July 9, 2018. If you don't receive the mailing by June 20, 2018, call the union hall at 412-321-4700 and we will send one out.
The menu is smoked baby back ribs, BBQ boneless chicken, grilled hot dogs and hamburgers, Italian salad, coleslaw, baked beans, corn, watermelon and ice cold soft drinks. Nacho Bar from 12 pm - 2 pm and 4 pm - 6 pm. Beer and specialty drinks will be available from 12 pm - 7 pm.
Swimming is available all day at the community pool. We have a limited number of pool passes to give out to members and their families, so register as soon as you can. Special features include Kids Kingdom play center, volleyball games, horseshoes and corn hole. There will be a 50/50 Drawing, Door Prizes and Members only Drawings.
Bring out the family — and your appetite — for a fun day. Remember... REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED!
Patrick McShane Memorial Scholarship Winners Announced
The winners of the 2018-2019 Patrick McShane Scholarship were chosen on May 19th, 2018:
Bailey Dunks, daughter of Dave Dunks - Maintenance
Jacob Paci, son of Dana Paci - PSE Clerk
Brianna Crawford, daughter of Tamara Crawford - Clerk
Taylor Bobak, daughter of Katherine Bobak - Clerk
Congratulations to the winners and thank you to all who applied!
First Quarter 2018[March 14th]
A secret ballot election for the offices of Maintenance Division Director and for Trustee D is being conducted by mail. Ballots for this election are being mailed to members' last known address on March 26, 2018. Any eligible member who has not received a ballot in the mail at home by April 2, 2018, or any member that spoils a ballot, may request a duplicate ballot by contacting the local office at 412-321-4700. Arrangements will be made for you to receive a duplicate ballot. If you request a duplicate ballot, only the duplicate ballot will be counted.
IMPORTANT: Mail your ballot in sufficient time for it to be received at the Post Office by 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, April 18, 2018. Ballots will be collected and tallied in the Letter Carrier's Hall, 841 California Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 and results will be announced that evening, at that location, at the 7:30 p.m. Membership Meeting.
The following members-in-good standing accepted nomination for office:
Maintenance Division Director
The following members-in-good standing are running unopposed for office:
- President - Chuck Pugar
- Executive Vice-President - Bill Jones
- Secretary-Treasurer - Bob Montana
- Recording Secretary - Charlotte Richards
- Clerk Division Director - Drew Sidick
- MVS Division Director - William Weisser
- Trustee A - Antoine Gibson
- Trustee B - Mark Schaefer
- Trustee C - Gary Meehan
Local Nominations Notice!
The February Membership Meeting will hold nominations for union officers. The Judge of Elections and Board of Tellers will be decided.
To be eligible for nomination and run for office you must:
- Be a member in good standing since April 2017.
- Either be present at the Meeting to be nominated and accept nomination, or have previously submitted a letter to the recording secretary at our HQ address above indicating nomination and/or acceptance.
- Not run for more than one office.
- If applicable, withdraw any application to an EAS position with responsibility for issuing or recommending discipline or for applying or interpreting the National Agreement prior to acceptance of nomination for any office.
- Not have a criminal conviction which would prohibit one from serving as an officer of PMAPWU under LMRDA, 29 U.S.C. Section 504.
Patrick McShane Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is offered to current graduating high school senior or college undergraduate whose parent or legal guardian is a current active member in PMAPWU. Four names will be selected.
- Type: Academic Scholarship
- Current graduating high school senior or college undergraduate whose parent or legal guardian is a current active member in PMAPWU, AFL-CIO per established rules set forth by the Scholarship Committee.
- A posting to all the station/branches and AO offices will be going out this month.
- Deadline to apply is May 18, 2018.
- Contact PMAPWU at 412-321-4700 for more information and an application.
- Download a PDF application and mail it in.
Other scholarships available include the EC Hallbeck Scholarship Program (2018), the Vocational Scholarship Program (2018), and the Best Essay Award (a onetime $2,000 payment toward 4-year college tuition.)
March 31, 2018 is the deadline for the APWU to receive completed applications. Applications can be downloaded at www.apwu.org/issues/scholarships.
PA AFL-CIO (2018) Scholarship Essay Contest — Details can be found at the PA AFL-CIO Scholarship webpage. Entries must be postmarked by Jan. 31, 2018 and can be downloaded at www.paaflcio.org
John T. Boxler Scholarship 2018. Deadline is May 1, 2018, and you can get all the details from www.ppwu.org/scholarship.htm
Past Issues of the Bulletin Board
 [ 2016] 
Use our Search function to look up further back-issues of the Bulletin Board.